Friday, December 13, 2013

Rant alert!

So the other day, I wanted to dye my roots pretty badly 'cause the contrast of faded red hair and dark brown obviously do not go well together and it was a plain horrid sight. (probably one of the very reasons why I was seen wearing a cap often)
I didn't want to go somewhere far so I just googled salons around my area.
Quite a couple popped up in the search engine and almost all of them are reputable ones. I decided to make an appointment for one of them (I was thinking, what could go wrong with a reputable salon?)
My mom always has this belief of having a male hairdresser to attend to her hair, (apparently guys do a better job in hairdos according to her) so when this male hairdresser came and addressed me, I was relieved.

I've never been so wrong.
And for the record, my horrible experience was at Kimage (Tiong Bahru). My hairdresser then was Benson Khor.
When I sat down, I explained to him that I want to dye and highlight my hair. I showed him photos of what I intended to do. After a long discussion, he appeared to get what I want and then asked if I wanted to cut my hair.
I SPECIFICALLY told him just a slight trim will do. He continued asking if I want to cut my fringe shorter and coaxed me into a haircut that cost freaking $50. For a haircut that cost $50, I'm sure you will expect it to be good. BUT it was beyond redemption.
I made it known that I do not want layers and to maintain the length. However, he insisted that he wasn't cutting layers. I trusted my hairdresser to let him do his work. (After all, he's the professional) I even questioned him several times whether he's cutting layers, he reassured me that he's not and it will turn out fine.
He proceeded to bleach my hair and dye which took about 5 hours for the whole process.
FYI, the base of my hair I dyed was medium brown and highlights I requested were turquoise and blue so he claimed that he had to cut the crown of my hair to 'cover' the lower bottom of my hair for the highlights to stand out.
It was something like an ombré. But judging from what the end result was, it was evident that he do not have ANY experience doing something like that for a customer. You do not need to cut off any of my hair to achieve the highlights at the end of my hair.
I felt so bad for G because we were supposed to spend time together after that but it took way too long. The only thing I'm glad about this is G's patience, and his constant assurance whenever I'm worried about the outcome of my hair. 

The end result?
I was right.
My hair looked so much thinner and of different lengths. Layers were found everywhere! I was aware there's nothing much I could do to revert that, so I didn't bother to say a word except show displeasure. Why let someone that screwed up your hair touch your hair again, right?
G was being a sweetheart and kept professing that he likes it and it looks good on me. I knew it isn't true.
I went back home and bawled my eyes out and decided that I definitely need a haircut 'cause I know I'm not going to step out of my house looking like this.
I don't mind having to snip off my locks 'cause I've done that before, but I just felt it was a waste of money especially cutting it just after bleaching and dyeing my hair for 5 fucking hours.
So I'm back to short hair and blew off $300 just to get it right.
Got most of my already bleached and colored hair snipped off, but thankfully the colors are still visible from the inside and the back of my hair.
I gotta give it to my current hairdresser for saving my hair. I was really impressed with the whole salon's service and his skills so I instantly signed up to be a member afterwards.

Lesson learnt: Do not be lazy and decide on a salon sloppily. (Although hair will grow out eventually, a bad hairdo will really ruin your mood) ALWAYS ALWAYS google for reviews of the particular salon before heading down. And never judge a book by its cover. A reputable salon does not mean that all the hairdressers are skillful and attentive.

Before:


2nd and 3rd picture best depict the amount of layers on my hair. (My hair used to be of the same length even for my fringe) I couldn't tie a proper ponytail!

After: 






Close-up of the turquoise and blue:



No comments: